Thursday 26 March 2009

Another battle with school. Gloves on.

After asking at school on Tuesday, it became clear that CY doesn't have an IEP (Individual Education Plan) when he should have one. They've hastily put together 'Pastoral Support Programme' and it says Special Needs: NO and Medical Factors: NO
OMG I am mad as hell.
Shelley Bunting at CAMHS told me clearly (and I asked her to repeat it to make sure!) that as far as CAMHS are concerned, Joe has Social Communication Disorder and it's probably Asperger's. I have told his Ed Welfare Officer this and she acts like I have Munchausen's by Proxy, as if I want my child to have Asperger's! No-one wants their child to have it, but the fact is, he does and we welcome it now because it explains so much about him. This afternoon I will write a massive list of why kids with SCD /AS find it so hard to go to school, and I will give it to the people who deal with Joe. Even when they gave me a form for referral to the Ed Psych it said 'school attendance' was the problem. No, my son has Asperger's and because of this he finds school hard. Having Asperger's is a problem.

I bet every parent in the UK has this same problem and we all have to fight it individually because people in schools aren't listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment